Prophecies of the Messiah
These are a few of the prophecies about the One Messiah so that we could recognize Him. There are more, but here are a few:
1. The Messiah would be born of a woman. Notice what GOD SAID “HER SEED”.
Gen 3:15 And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your seed and her Seed; He shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise His heel.”
2. The Messiah will be a descendant of Abraham
Gen 12:3 I will bless those who bless you, and I will curse him who curses you; And in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed.
3. The Messiah will be a descendant of Isaac
Gen 17:19 Then God said: “No, Sarah your wife shall bear you a son, and you shall call his name Isaac; I will establish My covenant with him for an everlasting covenant, and with his descendants after him.
4. The Messiah will come through the tribe of Judah
Gen 49:10 The scepter shall not depart from Judah, Nor a lawgiver from between his feet, until Shiloh comes; and to Him shall be the obedience of the people.
5. The Messiah will be a descendant of Jacob.
Num 24:17“I see Him, but not now; I behold Him, but not near; A Star shall come out of Jacob; A Scepter shall rise out of Israel, And batter the brow of Moab, And destroy all the sons of tumult.
- The Messiah will be heir to King David’s throne.
- A messenger will prepare the way for the Messiah.
8. The Messiah will be born of a virgin and He shall be called Immanuel.
Isa 7:14 “Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a Son, and shall call His name Immanuel.
9. The Messiah will be born in Bethlehem.
Micah 5:2-5 “But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, Though you are little among the thousands of Judah, Yet out of you shall come forth to Me The One to be Ruler in Israel, Whose goings forth are from of old, from everlasting.”
10. A massacre of children would happen at Jesus’ birthplace.
Jer 31:15 “Thus says the Lord: “A voice was heard in Ramah, lamentation and bitter weeping, Rachel weeping for her children, refusing to be comforted for her children, because they are no more.”
11. The Messiah would spend a time in Egypt.
Hoseah 11:1 “When Israel was a child, I loved him, and out of Egypt I called My Son.